Thursday, January 31, 2008

Owie!

I've never been the type to follow rules. I always have to try things for myself and THEN decide. Perhaps I've still got a bit of my teenage rebellion left in me. Well, let me just tell you that the rule given by the Couch to 5K program to do the program every other day should definitely be followed. See, I ran on Tuesday and Wednesday. I was feeling great! No soreness to speak of. So I thought I'd run again today. And even up the speed to 4.8 because yesterday I felt like 4.5 was too slow. Can I just tell you all now that I'm a moron? As soon as I started running on the first interval, I could feel the pain in my lower shins everytime my foot met the treadmill. By the fourth interval (halfway), the pain was way worse and I realized HELLO My body is trying to tell me something! So I listened to it and just walked the rest of the my 30 minutes, mind you I couldn't let all be lost, I increased the incline of the treadmill substantially and still got a really good workout in. To be honest, I felt like puking afterwards. I decided to heck with the elliptical and did a good 15 minutes of stretching before I packed it in.

This is a common cycle with me everytime I get on one of my exercise kicks. I've always been one to go all out or just stay home. Even when I did martial arts as a teenager, I trained a minimum of 2.5 hours per day, at least 6 days a week. I remember crying my eyes out when my parents wouldn't let me attend my class. I need to remember not to go overboard! By the way, here's a good article to read if you feel like you might be exercising too much.

My plan is to take it easy tomorrow. I won't be able to go to the Y tomorrow anyways because T has school. I have an appointment for a fitness test on Saturday. Check out this cool fitness challenge that the YMCA is offering! I'll of course update you all with my results.

Today's Menu:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 1 tbsp sliced almonds, 2 oz blackberries, 1/3 cup skim milk, 1 carrot cake cookie = 4.5
Lunch: PC Blue Menu Cheese Cannelloni, 3/4 grapefruit = 5
Post gym snack: Starbucks Grande Skinny Caramel Latte, half whole wheat pita, Clover Leaf lemon pepper tuna= 6
Dinner: 3.5oz ground beef, 2 tbsp low fat sour cream, salsa, lettuce, 1/3 cup 2% shredded cheese, cucumber, 8 Quaker Minis sea salt and lime rice cakes = 5.5
Snack: Grapefruit, Kashi bar, Source Dessert Selections yogurt, French Vanilla w/nonfat creamer = 5.5

26.5/31 but I'm sure I'll add a few more things in there to use up my points...

7 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

I so understand the Owie!!

I walked slowly tonight thinking it was better but my knee and hip both hurt by the end of the walk. I will rest this weekend so I can get back to it.

The YMCA thing looks like a lot of fun, I can't wait to hear all about it!

Shirls said...

if you have or have access to a foam roller its a huge huge help with shin splints and well worth the time and effort to roll slowly from the ankle to just below the knee, along the shins, both at once works well, up to knee, back down to ankle, few times, really really helpful.

Martha said...

Your motivation is great! Walking was a great alternative. But, don't over do it so much to burn yourself out, you know? I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal too:-)

Hanlie said...

Yes, I've also decided to keep my workout as is for now and only think about adding to it in a couple of weeks. I was achy yesterday, which my husband ascribed to lactic acid build up.

Michelle said...

Your doing great with your eating and couting those points. I am doing WW as well and I always seem to have a hard time eating all my points but I make sure I get them all in so I don't stop my metabolism :)

The YMCA things sounds like fun, have fun doing that!! Have a good weekend and Happy Losing :)

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

I tend to be all or nothing in the exercise realm too. Lately it's been a whole lot of nothing- but that's changing!

Take it easy, and don't injure yourself. Im so impressed by everyone's determination. This is an amazing group of women!

CindyPTN said...

Way to listen to your body. It is tough to take it slow.