Thursday, March 13, 2008

Major NSV!!!

I don't know if you all had to do this, but I remember back in grade 10 phys ed class, we had to run for ten minutes. I could NEVER do it and always ended up walking. This was even when I was super into martial arts and should have been fit. Well, today I did my Couch to 5K session. I'm in week two, day two so that means that I alternated running for 90 seconds and walking for two minutes six times. After I did my final run and five minute cool down walk, a strange feeling came over me. I wanted to run. More. I entered 5 more minutes into the timer on the treadmill thinking that I would just see how long I could actually run and then walk the rest. The C25K podcast had ended and the good music on my mp3 player had started up. The next thing I knew, the five minutes had ended.... and I, Ms. I DON'T run, was STILL running. I frantically pushed at the buttons on the treadmill to increase my time by a few more minutes so that my groove didn't get interupted. A few minutes later, I'm STILL good and STILL running! So again, I increase the minutes. Well, when it was all said and done, I ran for TEN freaking minutes!!!!!! And this was after my C25K session. Seriously now, I have no idea what came over me and I'm already doubting that I'll ever be able to do it again (now really, how silly is it of me to even think that??) but man, it felt good. I. Ran. I'm going to be a runner. One of those people that I've always looked at in awe as they run the entire 30 minutes on the treadmill. That will be me.

9 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Wow! Congrats on the run! That is fantastic! And the first of many, I'm sure! :)

sauchagirl said...

You are a runner! Not going to be one, you are one! Yeah for you!

ChristasCookies said...

Congrats!!! Whoohoo for you!!! You inspire me. :-)

Heather said...

awesome! you also inspire me..I am SO not a runner.

Dottie said...

You go girl!! I look forward to the day I can run...it's going to be a while.

Hanlie said...

That is so cool! Congratulations! I'm proud of you!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Way to go! I'm so excited for you!

Shirls said...

at school we had to do a 12 minute run as part of fitness testing, not once did I actually run for 12 mins, BUT fast forward 20 years and I did my first 12 mins, I never felt so powerful in my life, so yeah I totally, totally get what a huge, huge NSV this is, I actually couldn't read it fast enough after that first line! I really hope you treated yourself to something special for such a powerful victory!

Carolyn said...

That's so great! and totally strange actually...
I just ran for 10.5 minutes today on the treadmill at the Y! How great we reached this bench mark together! I LOVE it when that music gets you going, ya know? I listen to Eminem's "Lose Yourself", and when the words come around like "success is my only *** option; failure's not" and "I can't get by with my 9 to 5" it really pushes me. I jog to the beat and BOOM!
You rock! You've been doing so well! I love reading your blog! Good for you!