Friday, February 22, 2008

Work and kids and ARG

So, I've been working full time for the past 2 weeks and am scheduled to do so for another two weeks. And to be honest, I've really enjoyed it. Even though work has been crazy busy and comes with it's own issues, it's still quieter and easier than trying to work at home around two screaming kids, always trying to find a spare second to get to the computer to just "finish something up". So I've been tossing around the idea of looking for a more permanent full time position and quitting the contract work that I've been doing at home for the last year and a half. But today, I am reminded WHY I had chosen to work from home in the first place.

FINDING RELIABLE, CONSISTENT CHILDCARE IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

Sorry for "shouting", I just feel incredibly frustrated right now. For the second time in less than a week, my babysitter has called me at work asking me to pick up the kids at lunch time because something has come up. Then yesterday, she sprung it on me that she will be away March 4-8 and how I should call the day home agency to find a back up sitter. The problem is, there is only one other lady from the agency that can take them and going to her means an extra 30 minutes of driving in the morning. And this is not a problem with only my agency - this is a problem with all childcare in my area. There just isn't enough! So, instead of selecting a caregiver who is the most loving, caring and best suited for our needs, I essentially get no choice and am just stuck with whatever is available, whether I like the person or not.



Ok, sorry, rant over ;)

2 comments:

Ready Maid said...

Bless your heart, as we say in the South. Yours is probably the most intense frustration of every mom who is trying to juggle work and young children. Having homeschooled my own son plus seven other children for six years, I can really identify with the importance of good caregivers. I'll hold good thoughts for you and the little ones.

Hanlie said...

I think that is a problem all over the world!